Wednesday, April 20, 2011


I've been trying to write this post for the past two Mondays, but hubby had the camera.  Need I say more?  I thought you might like to see what I've been working on and I threw in some finishes, too.

Do you remember the scrap quilt units I've been working on - Fabric Frolic?  Well, here is the center of the Queen size.
It's all sewn together but needs three more borders.  The line of colored squares at the top is one of them.  First a narrow black border, then the squares, then a wider black border to finish.  I need to construct the King size and then I can do the shams.  There will be four of those.  I may have to make a few more units.

The Summer Breezes top is complete.  No picture, it doesn't look any different sewn together just a bit smaller.  Here is the sham.
I am giving this one to my Aunt Sis, my mother's sister.  I still have a lot of pinwheel block leftovers in the red-yellow-orange range.  Have an idea for those but have relegated them to leader/ender status.  So tired of pinwheels, LOL!

One more Snowbound block finished and two more almost completed!  Two more after those and I can finish this up.

Four more Delectable Diamond pieces done.  Once I mount the twelve I just completed, these will probably go up on the design wall for another look/see.  Might be I need a few more embroideries!
MatryoshkaMom is making quilts for Japan.  All the quilts are red & white (you know how much I love red/white quilts).  The link above will tell you all the details.  In any case, here are two blocks that I made and sent for the quilts.  She will be accepting 12-1/2 inch unfinished blocks until the end of July if you are interested.   These were so easy for me, I may make a few more between now and then.
Last, but not least, here is the embroidered piece I offered to finish for my Aunt Mary.  I did all that we discussed but I need to visit her again for more guidance.  I have a few ideas.

I think I mentioned in my last post that I had revamped my design wall.  Since I am a visual person, it was frustrating that I couldn't put all my quilt pieces up on my wall.  My original wall was only supposed to be temporary and consisted of two pieces of Warm&Natural stapled to the wall.   I tore the entire thing down and replaced it with a solid piece of Warm&White.  My design wall is now big enough to put up an entire Queen size quilt before seaming, but I can only work one quilt at a time and there was still no room for my handwork or for taking pictures of smaller pieces.  I decided I needed another design wall just for handwork.  Here it is!
As you can see, it butts up against the corner of the big wall, which is fine because now I will be able to turn the corner for King size quilts!  (I have at least two of those to make!)  I can also keep track of my applique blocks and other things. 

So what's on your design wall?

Love from Liri

Tuesday, April 12, 2011


I've often thought about posting this, but I couldn't find it!  I had put it away so I didn't "lose" it.  Do you do that?
Doesn't look like much, does it?  I found this at a flea market many years ago and figured I would use the good parts in a project.  I thought it had been machine stitched.  I found it again a few years ago and finally took a really good look at it.  I must tell you, it inspired me to take up my needle again.  A good close look reveals it is entirely hand-stitched!  I think it is silk on silk.  Take a look at some of this detail!

French knots, satin stitch, needle weaving!  All so neatly done it fools the eye!

Look at the back.  It is as neat as the front.  The satin stitched portions are all padded!
You can see some of the padding sticking out on the back.  Apparently the cloth was not wide enough to finish as one piece.  Look at this join!

It is so well done and the stitches are so small, I missed it the first couple of times!

Despite the fact it is so damaged, I treasure this piece.  I have received many compliments on my handwork and it pleases me no end.  But this is the kind of handwork I aspire to.  Someday I hope to equal the talents of this unknown needlewoman, but if I only make it halfway I'll be happy with that, too!

Trip on over to Melody's Blog to see the other Tuesday Treasures!

Love from Liri

Monday, April 4, 2011


Well, the Easter dresses for Autumn, Mara and Kayla are finished and delivered.  My daughter came down to visit her friend on Sunday and I took the dresses over.  They loved them and promised me pictures on Easter.  Kayla was not feeling well yesterday and Mara was really fussy.  We just made sure the dresses fit.  You've seen Autumn's dress:
Everything is stitched, hem is in, buttons and button holes.

Here is Mara's dress, pinafore, bonnet & panties.  The fabric is the same as Autumn's dress.

Here is Kayla's outfit. 

I am so glad these are finished!  This was such a fussy pattern, not to mention all the pieces.  I have already told the girls not to expect any more like this!  Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and buy a new, easier pattern next time they go on sale at JoAnne's.  Can you see how sad I am about that, LOL!

Love from Liri